Our life in books



This is our eigth year of homeschooling and I finally got around to blogging about our adventures a few years ago.
I love the path that God has us on.
We get to enjoy the lightbulb moments in educating our children and have quite a few of them ourselves.

We are starting Exploration to 1850's this school year, 2012-2013 using My Father's World curriculum.
Rome to the Reformation,
Exploration to the 1850's and NOW.........

Below is the week by week of lessons for this year if you'd like to start at the beginning.
There is also a handy LABELS area that you can peek through to find a specific lesson.

Week by Week - MFW: Creation to the Greeks

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pyramids of Egypt


We are time traveling to Ancient Egypt, circa 3100 BC. Off on an adventure to the land of the Nile, pharaohs, and let's not forget, the pyramids.

We mixed in some geometry while building these pyramids out of straws and playdough, checking to see which was the stronger of the two types.

We had to practice for a long time to be able to draw a realistic looking pyramid on paper. It's like those 3-D pictures that only some people can see and only if you stare for a really long time. Much longer than I have time for........

My nine year- old had the most trouble with getting the dimensions just right and seeing the 3-D pyramid on paper, no matter how we drew it. I finally had her cut out shapes and make one that she could hold. I struggle with rotating objects in space (like galaxy stuff) but this was pretty basic. She eventually got it but I wonder about our future in geometry........

Speaking of "D'Nile", I have been in denial about how little my 4th grader writes with our curriculum. She loves to make lists and practices her cursive happily but the fact remains that she doesn't voluntarily write stories, letters or even a postcard unless she has to. I have a 2nd grader who needs to learn how to manage her paper consumption so I know it's partly due to interest level and gifting however....................... where there is a hole, one must fill it. I would be remiss if I did not address AGAIN the gap in where she is and where I think she should be. That said, Mackenzie is working on an essay of Ancient Egypt so stay tuned as I work to get this reluctant writer to complete the assignment. One paragraph per day should result in a page turner in about another week.
She has agreed to type it out and post it in the blog as well!
One less entry for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment