Our life in books



This is our eigth year of homeschooling and I finally got around to blogging about our adventures a few years ago.
I love the path that God has us on.
We get to enjoy the lightbulb moments in educating our children and have quite a few of them ourselves.

We are starting Exploration to 1850's this school year, 2012-2013 using My Father's World curriculum.
Rome to the Reformation,
Exploration to the 1850's and NOW.........

Below is the week by week of lessons for this year if you'd like to start at the beginning.
There is also a handy LABELS area that you can peek through to find a specific lesson.

Week by Week - MFW: Creation to the Greeks

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Abraham, Sarah and Isaac


Mackenzie is blossoming as a writer. We are working on it everyday and she is growing in patience with the thought of putting pen to paper. Words come easy to her when she is speaking and her vocabulary is astounding to me sometimes but when she goes to write down her thoughts, there is a lack of enthusiasm and creativity. Well, as her teacher, this is something that we are working on together each day with brainstorming, outlining and finally crafting a decent paragraph about our studies. I have found a few little tricks that help her. She loves to see a picture and then describe what is happening, like empty comics or silly pictures where the author gets to tell what's happening, the sillier, the better. Also, an exercise where she dictates to me what she wants to say and then I help her write the first draft. I intentionally do not capitalize or make any punctuation. She then has to correct the piece and copy it in her own handwriting. I think it has to do with being able to think quickly but not write quickly enough to keep up with the flow of thoughts.  Anyway- it's progress. And, I like the drawings.

1 comment:

  1. Great job Mackenzie. Maybe you can write and illustrate a book and have it printed like Jacob.

    ReplyDelete