Our life in books



This is our eigth year of homeschooling and I finally got around to blogging about our adventures a few years ago.
I love the path that God has us on.
We get to enjoy the lightbulb moments in educating our children and have quite a few of them ourselves.

We are starting Exploration to 1850's this school year, 2012-2013 using My Father's World curriculum.
Rome to the Reformation,
Exploration to the 1850's and NOW.........

Below is the week by week of lessons for this year if you'd like to start at the beginning.
There is also a handy LABELS area that you can peek through to find a specific lesson.

Week by Week - MFW: Creation to the Greeks

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

" All Roads lead to Rome"

Having used My Father's World for four years now, we are finally at the ROMANS. The Egyptian and Greek civilizations so enraptured the children that they hesitated to let the course of history continue but rather preferred to freeze time at the last of God's prophets, height of Greek power and Alexander the Great.

I convinced them that it was necessary for them to understand the full picture, the whole story up to now and I promised that Rome would be just as fun!

We began a few weeks ago with the founding of Rome around 750B.C.  To be sure, that story/myth of Romulus and Remus always freaks me out. I hate looking at the statue of the wolf feeding the babies....ewww!

Life as a Roman pupil would have included writing on a clay tablet so here we are making our versions :




We started reading The Bronze Bow in the first week because the story was so relevant and reading aloud is one of my students' favorite things.

We also switched to studying about the Roman versions of all the Greek gods. We chose The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan to read aloud as well It's about a fantastical adventure for a son of Jupiter  in modern times. Although not my favorite author, it's so nice of him to introduce new Roman characters and follow the historical record of how the Romans essentially borrowed most of the myths and deities from Greece and renamed them.

Next stop:  Rise of the Roman Republic

1 comment:

  1. Your clay tablets turned out nice! I always overthink the projects and never seem to do them exactly right. Diagrams in the TM would be very helpful for me and my visual learning style! :)

    ReplyDelete